Whether you’re a professional, a student, a stay-at-home parent, or a retiree, Toastmasters is the best way to improve your communication skills. Toastmasters can help you lose the fear of public speaking and learn skills that will help you be more successful in your chosen endeavor. You’ll listen better. You’ll more easily lead teams and conduct meetings. You’ll comfortably give and receive constructive evaluation. You already have some, or all of these skills. In Toastmasters, you will enhance them.
At Toastmasters, members learn by speaking to, and working with, others in a supportive environment. A typical Toastmasters club is made up of 20 to 30 people who meet once a week for about an hour and a half. Each meeting gives everyone an opportunity to learn and practice the skill of communications.
Toastmasters learn to conduct meetings.
Meetings often begin with a short business session which helps members learn the basics of meeting procedures.
Toastmasters give impromptu speeches.
Members present one to two minute impromptu speeches on assigned topics. This enables the members to have a ‘comeback’ in those sticky situations’ we often find ourselves in our everyday lives.
Toastmasters present prepared speeches.
At a meeting, often two to three members will present speeches based on projects from the Toastmasters International Communication and Leadership Program manuals. The skills learned in these often harrowing experiences, cover topics such as speech organization, voice, language, gestures, and persuasion.
Evaluation is the foundation that Toastmasters is built on.
Every prepared speaker is assigned an evaluator who points out the speech strengths and offers suggestions for areas of improvement.
WHAT WILL IT DO FOR YOU?
Most success depends on communication. In business, each employee, whether in management, or a regular ‘Joe’, faces an endless exchange of ideas, messages, and information as they deal with one another and with customers day-to-day. How well they communicate can determine whether a company quickly grows into an industry leader, or joins the thousands of businesses mired in mediocrity, or even bankruptcy.
Toastmasters provides the tools that enable us to become effective communicators and leaders, all at a very low cost.
Toastmasters training helps everyone:
- It helps us give better presentations, even if it is only a request to the boss for a raise.
- It helps to hone our management skills.
- It helps us to work better with fellow employees. Often listening to what they have to say will help your day ‘at the office’ go a little smoother.
- You may have invented the better mouse trap. Toastmasters will help you effectively develop and present your ideas.
- Toastmasters offers constructive feedback, to help you make the changes that lead to better communications.
- Toastmasters will help you to accept criticism more objectively.
- Toastmasters produces results. Around the world more than three million men and women of all ages and occupations have benefited from Toastmasters training, and more than one thousand corporations, community groups, universities, associations, and government agencies now use Toastmasters training to enhance their communication skills.