We aim to mix things up a bit, just to keep meetings interesting. But unless we’re running a special event, such as a competition or debate, meetings follow roughly the same format: warm ups, where everyone gets a chance to participate, prepared speeches, then evaluations.
Members choose their own speech titles, following a speech project guide from whichever manual they’re currently working through. Each project has specific objectives such as: working with body language, or getting comfortable with using visual aids.
Rotating Roles at each Toastmasters Club Meeting
In addition to the actual speeches, we take turns in filling the following special roles:
- Toastmaster / MC: Handles the evening’s proceedings. Introducing each item, providing little interludes, ensuring that we run to schedule, stepping in if there are any hiccups.
- Timing Master: Times everyone’s speeches.
- Grammarian: Listens for colourful, or unusual language.
- Hark Master: Takes notes and asks questions at the end to see if we’ve been paying attention.
- Ah Counter or Grunt Master: Counts the number of times we use word whiskers: ums, uhs, ahs, etc.
- General Evaluator: Provides a critique of the evening’s proceedings (This is the Big Daddy role – the hardest by far!)
As a guest, you may be invited to perform one of the easier roles such as Harkmaster, or Grunt Master. You’re under no obligation to accept though.
Typical Meeting Programme
- Round Robin: A warm up game – everyone gets to participate with a 30 second contribution to a random, rolling story.
- Table Topics: 3 – 5 impromptu speeches, 60-90 seconds long, surprise themes chosen by Table Topics Master.
- Interlude: A short prepared item of 3 minutes. Used to give the evaluator, up next, time to prepare.
- Evaluations : of Table Topic Speakers.
Supper Break – 15 mins – Tea, bickies and a chance to socialise and chat.
- 2 – 4 Prepared Speeches: These are based on outlines from the various Toastmasters manuals.
- Evaluations of Speeches: We take turns in evaluating project speeches.
- Reports: Ah Counter, Timing Master, Grammarian, Hark Master, General Evaluator.
It’s always a very full and varied evening. Meetings are always fun, stimulating, interesting, a little bit challenging and friendly. Check us out at the next meeting. As a guest you’re free to just watch and listen, or to participate if you’re game. It’s entirely up to you!